Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Flowers and Wine - it's nice being a good teacher!

So the summer is winding down towards the start of school here next week...and so goes the winding down of the private swim lessons I teach at the Duke Faculty Club pool.

I had my last lesson today with Harry (11) and Jennifer (9), who've been great. I've had them once a week for about 10 weeks. I've taught them just about everything you can for their skill level and age. It was very rewarding today to see Harry execute a pretty good breaststroke open turn, and to see Jennifer finally do a standing dive where she keeps her chin down and her toes be the last thing that enters the water. Their mom, Jin, is very nice. Almost every week after our lessons were over, she'd invite me to go to the snack bar with them and she'd buy me whatever I wanted to eat. The first time she offered, I declined, saying, "oh, no, you don't have to do that for me. I'm planning to eat at home anyway when I go home." But she wouldn't take no for an answer, so I gave in.

So today before our lesson starts, Harry and Jennifer tell me that they have something for me and that I should turn around and close my eyes while they get it ready. When I turn around, they have a big flower bundle and a bottle of wine for me. Very sweet. So I make a big deal out of it and thank them for thinking of me. They were a little wilted from the 98 degree heat outside, so I ran into the office to keep them cool.

Here they are in a vase sitting on my kitchen counter. I so rarely have live flowers in my house that I must blog this!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We're having a glass of the wine they bought, and it's really good. It's something called Buenas Ondas Malbec/Syrah, from the San Juan area of Argentina. Yum.

That's all for now. Oh wait, my bug bites are still killing me. I think we've come to the conclusion that the bugs that bit us are called chiggers. And apparently we're supposed to smear paint thinner onto the bites and it heals them. ??? I'm not sure if I'm gonna try that...sounds kinda sketch.

No comments: