Thursday, August 23, 2007

Banana Flavored Treats and other really healthy things to eat

Lifeguarding today was a real drag. A total of 4 people came in during my shift to swim. I guess the early morning thunderstorms scared people off. Speaking of the storm, holy smokes, that was a big one that passed by this morning! It woke me up 5 minutes before my alarm clock was scheduled to go off - and my first thought was "Dangit! Now I can't ride my bike to work!" Oh well, I can ride later today.

So after I get off work, I stop by Ghetto Food Lion to pick up a few items. The usual stuff, like yogurt, fruit, tortillas, salad, flavored coffee creamer. In addition to the usual things, I picked up some stuff for the 2nd annual DAMA end-of-summer BBQ that's happening the day after tomorrow. I volunteered to bring the plates, utensils, cups and napkins. While exiting the last aisle after getting the picnic supplies, I push my cart right past a special display of Twinkies. Now, normally, I would just push on by without stopping to look because Twinkies aren't exactly a favorite snack of mine or anything. But there was a special word in that display that caught my eye: Banana. Oh Lord, give me the strength to resist things I know I shouldn't stuff down my pie-hole, the courage to walk away from Banana-flavored "foods", and the wisdom to make the right choice between artificial "food" and real, healthy, good-for-me foods.

Dangit, I can't resist, so I buy a package of special Banana-Creme Filled Twinkies. Plus, it was on sale, and those of you who know me, you know I can't resist something on sale!

I save the Twinkies for my breakfast dessert. My real breakfast is a yogurt/fruit smoothie, which is something I've been making for myself every day for the past week and a half. Today I blended blueberry yogurt, blueberries, strawberries, a banana and soy milk together for my creation. It was excellent.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So I drink my smoothie and unwrap my banana-flavor-filled-golden-cakes so they can get some air. Poor things have been trapped in that plastic wrapping for God-knows-how-long. Okay, maybe not that long, since it's a special flavor variety. I rub my finger over the top of one and I notice just how greasy they feel. Eeew. Why am I going to eat this again? Oh yeah, because it's banana-flavored, and I can't resist things that are banana-flavored.

Banana Nut Crunch cereal, Banana Moon Pie, Banana pudding, banana bread, banana-nut shake from Cook-Out, banana-and-creme flavored Quaker instant oatmeal, banana-nut flavored cream cheese, banana-flavored milk from Nesquik...holy smokes, this list could go on and on and on!

So I ready my taste buds for a banana-out-of-this-world taste explosion. Open mouth, insert Twinkie, chomp down, banana-flavored goo squishes out and I'm in heaven. Ahhh! Ain't life grand?

Gunnie is watching me the whole time, practically drooling. Check her out:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was totally worth it. I shall never again eat Twinkies, at least in the next 3 years, unless someone offers me one of the lead contestant spots at a banana-flavored Twinkie eating contest. Which I would probably win. But I don't think I'd wanna see my eating contest results after I puke them up. That reminds me of a sort-of-eating-contest/run held every year in downtown Raleigh. The Krispy Kreme Challenge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krispy_Kreme_Challenge

Maybe I could make my own crazy athletic/eating contest combo, and do it with a banana flavored treat like Twinkies, or Moon Pies. Hmmm, I'm thinking: bike race around the Duke Cross Country loop, do 2 laps, eat a dozen Twinkies, then do 2 more laps to finish.

Anyone wanna join in on my fun idea?

I'm totally, 100% joking, of course!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hellz yea i would do a moon pie eating contest =D