Sunday, December 2, 2007

I just bought some SOCKS for my iPod

What is this world coming to? iPod socks? Yes, you read that right. And they cost a whopping $29 for a package of 6 socks. I don't think I'd buy regular socks for my feet that cost that much!

So on Friday, I went out to Southpoint Mall to do some window shopping. I went into the Apple store to ogle at all the stuff that I had no idea existed! Not having TV means that shopping is adventurous. Back when we were TV watchers, constantly inundated with 18 minutes of commercials every hour, shopping was less of a surprise. I'd see things that were advertised or shown in sitcoms, or were featured on the discovery channel or was the subject of one of the prime time news stories (37 year old mom attacks a 60 year old grandma as she took the last Furby on the shelf...)

I went into the store specifically to buy a new upload/charging USB cord for my Nano, as I'd lost it about a week earlier. While there, a CSR asked me if I needed any help finding anything. I told her I was, but I wasn't sure if it existed. So I explained what I wanted - which is basically a holder of some sort that could be pinned/velcro'd/attached to my shirt, so that when I'm riding my bike and listening to my iPod, I could position it where I wanted, so that the earphone wires weren't in the way of my Camelbak straps and tube. I specifically said that I didn't want an arm-band style, since I sometimes mountain bike, and I really don't need branches or rocks rubbing up against my arm, and yanking my earbuds out... So the woman suggested the iPod socks. I saw them and figured, yeah, these could work, I can safety pin the sock to the inside of my jersey and route the wires up out of the neck. Then I looked at the price. $29 - yikes-o-mama! For 6 socks! What the?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well, I gave in and bought them. Now I'm trying to sell the extras for a reduced price of $4 each, because I really don't need 6 socks, I only need one! I've "sold" one already to swim friend Billy, but I owed him money for the Carbon Leaf concert anyway, so I didn't collect any green for it. Darn. So, for all the millions of people out there that read my overly-wordy blog (Ha! I'm so funny!), you wanna buy an iPod sock for $4? Please? They're really cool, and they come in lots of colors!

As you can guess, I have no formal background in sales/marketing of highly overpriced, fad-of-the-century accessories. I'm much better at selling/promoting things like the swim team!

No comments: