Sunday, June 8, 2008

I feel like a kid again

HOT! HOT! HOT! I think this is the 5th day in a row with 98+ degree temperatures, with heat indexes in the low 100's, ugh!

I bought one of those blow-up backyard pools from Target yesterday with intentions of using it to cool off/chill out in after a hot bike ride home from work or after completing some yard work. So I mowed half of the backyard (it's a pretty big yard, and it seems even bigger when it's 105 outside!) and then set up the pool. Even with an air compressor, it took about 10 minutes to inflate. I hate to think how long it would take with one of those crappy foot pumps the pools come with!

Here it is, all set up with fresh COLD water from the hose.

Photobucket

It was so cold that I had to inch into it like I was one of those water aerobics ladies at Campus Hills who always complain that the pool is "too cold" even when it's a steamy 84 degrees!

The pool is a nice 10 feet across. That means I can take one-half stroke and reach the other side. I tried to flip turn, but strangely my head hits the bottom. So then I tried an open turn, but my knees scraped the bottom and when I dropped my inside elbow, that too, scraped the bottom - reminding me of the pool we swim at in Greensboro every year!

Photobucket

I can't believe it! Only 528 laps in this pool and I've swum a mile!

I had so much fun swimming my half-stroke laps of freestyle in my new pool, that I decided to try a little backstroke.

Something's a little funky with my backstroke lately. Hummph? It felt like my catch wasn't deep enough or something? Or perhaps something is wrong with my kick? Maybe my swimming friends can check it out and offer suggestions.

Photobucket

Oh well, at least it doesn't hurt when I miss the flags and bump my head into the wall...

I'm so freakin' funny it hurts sometimes! :)

Photobucket

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You are hilarious. Can't wait to see you on Saturday! Any ideas as to what we should do? It might be a balmy 93 or something!

Shuu Mai said...

Maybe try one of those exotic flat-spin turns, or just switch to aquatic break dancing.